Friday, April 16, 2010

Twitter is dumb

Right now I'm fairly pissed at twitter.  I recently received a letter from Twitter saying
Due to concern that your account may have been compromised in a phishing attack that took place off-Twitter, your password was reset. Please create a new password by opening this link in your browser:

and then provided a link to reset my password.   now a couple things here.  First the letter in and of itself ,sounded like a phishing scam, so I was very careful about it.

Secondly,  read that carefully,  my password, has already been reset, because it might, have been compromised.

Might have been.... By phishing...

here's my problem.  I've never, ever, ever received a letter, e-mail, IM, tweet, Blog reply or anything asking for my twitter password... ever...   so either A: someone at twitter was dumb enough to hand out a bunch of usernames & passwords due to a fishing scam, or B: somehow twitter assumes that because one person falls for a dumb phishing scam that everyone must have fallen for it.   I highly doubt that every single twitter user the world over was asked to create a new password.  

So I'd really like to know, why I was apparently randomly selected, to have my password reset?   What criteria did they use to assume that i had given out my password to some random stranger,  i mean that's what phishing is.  They somehow decided that I gave out my password to someone,  without any prior contact with me.

Of course, any attempt to contact Twitter to clarify any of this, or confirm the legitimacy of the e-mail in front of me is difficult at best.  I can not find a way to e-mail them , any talk of support direct to their customer support area, whose only method of contact, is through twitter, which I'm locked out of, against my will.


Some people may ask why I'm so upset, it is after all a small matter of changing a password, but it's sort of insulting really.  Twitter ha assumed, A: that someone sent me a false e-mail asking for my password, and B: that I was dumb enough to give the password out.  Furthermore their method of handling this, is to lock me out of my own account without any attempt to verify either of the above two claims.


Enhanced by Zemanta