Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Loss

yesterday I got my new computer, I was extremely happy about this. today I've been working on transferring files from one system to the other. in what amounts to a nearly supernatural level of coincidence I managed to get distracted several times by screaming kids & frustrated wife, and phone calls, and my grandmother asking me in depth questions that I can't really ask her. I managed to successfully delete everything contained in the "my documents" folder.

a note, in windows XP "my documents" contains other folders such as m"y music" and "my pictures" in windows 7 they are distinctly separate folders.

so my picture,s and my music remain fine

my documents however had the stories I've been writing for the past 15 yeas, my resume's, any and all original work concerning role-playing , my campaign notes for several campaigns over the course of a decade, characters for current campaigns, etc. all of that info is gone. irrevocably gone. I tried a half dozen different file-un-delete programs. and was unsuccessful in recovering even a single item. I have a 2005 backup of a couple of the stories, but 2 out of 10 works, and several years old is barely worth it.

i hardly have words for how depressed I am right now